A TV reptile expert is in hospital after being bitten by one of the world's most dangerous snakes, which has venom lethal enough to kill an elephant.
Mark O'Shea had to be airlifted to Worcestershire Royal Hospital after he was bitten on the leg by a king cobra at West Midlands Safari Park, near Bewdley, on Sunday.
King cobras are the world's longest poisonous snake, growing up to 18ft long.
West Midlands Ambulance Service received a call from the safari park at 4pm and sent a doctor and an ambulance crew to the scene.
Although Mr O'Shea was assessed as being stable and suffering no serious effects from the bite, he was airlifted to hospital as a precaution.
The safari park's head of wildlife, Bob Lawrence, said: "It doesn't seem to have been a major problem and he is stable and comfortable.
"We don't know the precise details yet but obviously there will be a thorough and full investigation."
He added: "It is very, very rare that these things ever happen.
"Working with animals like this always carries hazards with it, but we have safety measures in place."
Mr O'Shea, from Shropshire, is one of the world's top snake experts and presented the Channel 4 documentary series O'Shea's Dangerous Reptiles.
The 56-year-old, who is consultant curator of reptiles at the safari park, nearly died after being bitten by a rattlesnake in 1993.Mark O'Shea is one of the world's leading snake experts